Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I Was a Kaleidoscope


Once again we at GS find ourselves a little behind. Alright! Here goes! Toshiaki Nishiyori, a.k.a. "Tony", put this nice biped tank mecha on Brickshelf a few days back. In a word, it's dreamy. In this new era of strong yet versatile click hinge ball joints, the focus is that much more on detail, and this is where the MOC shines. The new 1x1 slopes in clear for the window? Cute. The nose art using roofing bits? Subtle. The Quidditch hoop around the hatch? Be still, my heart! I also like the use of dish parts to round out the mecha, although I can't figure out exactly what's used on the caboose. You know, under that 3x3 dish? The machine gun's okay, but I'd rather he used Dan Rubin's. My biggest gripe with this MOC, though, is the transformation. It looks a bit forced, and it's a strong enough work on its own to not need a gimmick. Perhaps I'll email Tony about this; judging from this filename, he may know more English than he lets on.

Next up is this big bloody SHIP by Brickshelfer Odarih. Who is this masked man, anyway? It's almost criminal to post such a huge MOC and not stop in to any forums and say hello. Anyways, the ship's got a lot of detail, but it's not overpowering. The overall shape of the ship is pleasingly anime. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of this loop section, but I'll stand behind it for variety's sake. The ornately scalloped end of the hull by the engines looks almost fussy somehow. I'm getting visions of a pair of giant space-pinking shears cutting this hull out. A noteworthy feature of this craft is the attention paid to the stand. Many ships of similar size get away with minimal stands or none at all, but this looks like it was almost built off the stand itself. Now that's planning ahead.

The last MOC on our little saunter is an admirable Victorian house by Nathan Proudlove. Curiously enough, he hasn't done a post about it on Lugnet. I do hope I'm not "stealing his thunder". The MOC is distinguished foremost by its unusual part usages, so I suppose I ought to point it out to those jokers at "Unique Brique Techniques". Man, it's hard enough keeping up with one blog, let alone two. But I digress. Take a gander at that droid leg balustrade! He also justifies the existence of those grotty rubber Technic axle things by using them as tasteful architectural detail. I dig the varied roofline, but the sand-blueness of the chimney is a bit of a head-scratcher. What sort of stone is that, exactly? The spindles are a little too spindly--I would have beefed them up with some white technic pins. The lift-arm mouldings above the windows score no originality points, but they're certainly passable. Now if only it had some steampunk...

As an addendum to the previous post, Keith Goldman has posted the completed form of his "Two Pits and a Pad" display, and it's breathtaking. It leaves me full of questions: How is that landing pad staying together? Where did he get all those sand red plates? Will such a setup make it to a convention?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home